Tuesday 30 April 2013

Rainbow Cake - it is too good to be true!!

A final thought after this long post which I have decided to split into two - if you see an image of a cake so amazing it seems too good to be true - it probably is!

In the supermarket last month I passed by the magazine section and out popped the most amazing sight on the cover of the BBC Food magazine:


I didn't think twice, I bought the magazine, I HAD to make this cake! It seemed pretty straight forward, 7 sponges each dyed a different colour then layered together with a cream cheese icing - yum! No, no. The sponges came out as planned in lots of pretty colours....


...however when I came to assembling it I had over whisked the icing (even though I whisked it for literally 30 seconds) and it went runny - after several minutes of trying desperately to hold this sliding mass of cake together I eventually gave up and put it in the fridge to see if it would set! Whilst it didnt look the beautiful image from the front cover of the magazine, it did vaguely ressemble it (wish I'd taken a picture but was so ashamed I didn't!!). So off we went for the weekend for a family get-away cake in tow. Yes it looked bad but surely it would taste AMAZING...no, no. Not one member of the family managed to eat a whole slice (which were v v thin anyway), it was DISGUSTING!! The sponge was so dense and tasteless!

Moral of the story - if something looks pretty and seems too good to be true, it probably is! I will never again be making my sponge look pretty colours, there is a reason why cakes are not these crazy colours!!



No comments:

Post a Comment