Sunday 6 January 2013

A delayed wedding gift....

I have realised after trawling through some photos that there are a number of projects that I haven't yet posted. I will try to put them in the right order so here goes....

For my sister's wedding present I decided to make her a fabric covered photoboard to display her wedding photos. I found a piece of chipboard in the freebie off-cuts section of the local Homebase store and thought it would be perfect in size, I then looked online (which took a while) to find the perfect material in the teal colour (bridesmaid dress thus wedding theme colour). I wanted something naturey/animally as these are things that they both like, eventually I chose a fabric by Lotta Jansdotter from Sweden.


I'm not exactly sure what they are but some sort of bird anyway!

I sanded down the edges of the chipboard to make them rounded then lay some wadding (an off-cut from a quilting project) across it and used a staple gun to fix this tightly in place. Then I lay the material over the top and again pulled it tight but also folded it so that there was a 2" edge which was neatly overlapping the back. I had to make sure that the images were lying straight so that took a little while. Then I covered the back with some of the same material and neatly folded and stapled it in place. My next job was to staple some ribbon across the board (from the back) which would later by used to tuck cards or photos underneath. This was quite an art and took some time. Finally where each piece of ribbon crossed I put a staple and then glued a button on top - I had bought some heart ones especially but thought I had only needed 6, unfortunately I needed 7 which is such a shame as I had been sent an extra one but had used it on the wedding card instead!:-( . Nevermind, I got around it by rummaging through the button scrap box my Granny gave to my sister who to gave me (only on loan I might add but never got it back!) and managed to find some similar brown ones. Lastly I added a loop at the back to hang it on using some left over ribbon.

I was pleased with the final result though one button did fall off after 5 minutes of them being presented with it! Easily fixed with more hot glue!







No comments:

Post a Comment