Monday 25 June 2012

Bunting

My latest project over the last couple of weeks has been bunting. I did my first one for my friend's wedding which she really liked. Once the fabrics were chosen and cut to size it was so quick - I did cheat due to time constraints and used fabric adhesive - 'heat-a-bond' to save time with the letters.




Once I had got to grips with it I did the next one very quickly, this time it was for my sis-in-laws baby's christening. There were again some cheats to make things quicker: iron on bear motifs for each end, printed letter templates on Word document that can be adapted to any size, triangle template from cardboard scraps, pre-prepared bias binding to use as the ribbon, raw edged letters, pinking shears for the nice outline.
My sis-in-law loved it so I was very pleased! She says she'll put it up in the nursery afterwards.



Originally I was going to double side the bunting by sewing two triangles together, this would have made it take much longer to prepare and would have given it less of a rustic feel.I liked the way that these projects allowed me to make choices about fabrics and which ones work together, a challenge that I have tended to avoid up to this point as I'm not very confident with this.  I was pleased by the outcome. 


I'm looking forward to having a break now to concentrate on finishing little Holly's long-awaited quilt. Being a teacher I have the summer holidays which will be perfect for this and for starting some new projects too! I can't wait!! :-)



1 comment:

  1. I love your quilts and bunting...I have some silk from thailand that I wanted to make into a quilt - but have no idea about how to do it :)

    Hope your move goes well and you'll have to find me on Facebook :)

    ReplyDelete